This recipe features chicken, shrimp and smoked sausage. This classic Creole rice dish is well-suited to the slow cooker because it allows all of the flavors to blend in a wonderful way.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Cook time: 5 Hours
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cost Per Serving: $3.63
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 2-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Cajun or Creole spice mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 3/4 cups long-grain rice
- Parsley, optional
Combine chicken, sausage, onion, green pepper, celery, tomatoes, garlic, chicken broth, spice mix, thyme and oregano in a large (5-quart) slow cooker. Cook on low for 5 hours.
Add shrimp and rice; raise heat to high and cook for 30 minutes more. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, if desired.