Do you have items in your basement or garage collecting dust because you don’t know what to do with them? Check out these nifty ideas for turning obsolete items into fun and useful creations.
1. Old bed frame taking up space? Turn it into a sturdy bench for your home or garden.
2. Old chairs still hanging on hooks in the garage? Why not transform them into shelves for the kitchen or bathroom? The top shelf is perfect for storing spices or lotions and the rungs make an instant towel rack.
3. Not sure what to do with discarded hub caps? Here’s an idea that “drives home” the concept of repurposing. Paint them lively colors and add them to your garden as flower art.
4. Is your silverware service missing pieces? In a matter of minutes, you can turn forks and spoons into hooks to hang your coat, your hat, your plants, (maybe even your stocking!) If you have several pieces, make yourself a whimsical mobile!
5. Still have one of those clumsy wire cable spools hanging around? This makeover will require slightly more effort than the others, but in no time you’ll be asking yourself why you hadn’t attempted a project like this before now. Change the length of the slats to create either a bench or a chair. (Notice the heavy roped knots on the bottom? They keep the spool from taking off down the road!)
Here’s your challenge. The next time you come across an item in your basement that holds no purpose in its current state, try to imagine what it “could be” before adding it to the landfill pile. Hey, you never know. You might stumble upon a terrific business opportunity. “Vintage Spoon Hooks” could be all the rage because you made the decision to repurpose.